Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Just has to be yours?

You may be wondering what this means...

2 years ago, I had a 5th grade boy student who was super frustrated w/ his drawing. He just couldn't get what was in his head onto his paper.

The girl next to him saw his frustrations growing, and said to him "It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be yours."This was PROFOUND. And, it came out of the mouth of a 5th grade girl!

Something in me needed to write it down and tell everyone. (I do this often if something strikes me!)

When I tell people I'm an Art teacher, they say 2 things:
1. "Oh fun!"
2. "I can't draw to save my life."

I hate when people say #2. It's not about how good you are compared to someone else, but it's about doing something that makes you happy and you enjoy.

No matter if it's a realistic drawing of Neil Diamond or a stick person snowman, "it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment