Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fabric Designs with 3rd & 4th Grades


Looking through my "junk yard" of a supply closet, I see that there is a plethora of unused fabric scraps. I think "Let's use that up and make room for more junk!"

Dilemma of the elementary Art teacher: just because there's materials for a project doesn't mean there's enough for 100+. At my school, there are ~25 kids per class, and we have ~4 classes per grade = 100+ kids.

Parents are very generous about saving their styrofoam plates, plastic cups, and yarn scraps, but the problem is finding a creative way to use them with an entire grade level of 100+ kids (or more.) I will usually tell parents that if you don't have enough for 100 kids, thanks, but no thanks. It's just too hard to make different projects for each class if there aren't enough of something.

For this "reusing" project, I had students use fabric scraps, yarn, and any other "junk" to create a picture. They could make a person, place, thing, or even an abstract patchwork design. I suggested they make a simple design as small details can be difficult to make with fabric and scissors.

They loved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment